Tuesday, November 25, 2008

How I Tied the Knot: Our First Look

Previously in the post, tying the knot: our first look, I shared some of my favorite pictures of the first look we had of each other on our wedding day. I'd just like to chat with you all a little bit about our first look and first looks in general.

The decision to see each other before the doors opened at the church was made early in the planning process. I knew I would be a bundle of nerves on our wedding day if I didn't see Chris before my walk down the aisle. Seeing him before hand just made sense, after all, we wanted to spend as much time together on our wedding day as possible! And I was able to smile all the way down the aisle! Not to mention that it allowed us to get pictures (together and with the bridal party) before the ceremony at a relaxed pace. It was perfect.

That being said, the decision to see each other before the ceremony should be yours and yours alone. Not your photographers or your event managers. Not your wedding coordinators or your Mom's. If it's important to you to have that moment when you are walking down the aisle to be your first look, then let that moment be your first glimpse of each other. You won't regret it. But, I have to say, when the doors opened at the church, the moment was just as special as the moment that I saw him earlier in the day. Whatever decision you make, you'll be happy.

And now, for the pretty picture. I already shared all the pictures from our first look, so here's a picture from after our ceremony that you haven't seen yet.

previously in the series, "how i tied the knot": getting ready. next in the series, "how i tied the knot": the bouquets and boutonnieres.

all pictures by: nicole green. please link back to tying the knot when posting any of these pictures.

12 comments:

Rachel H. said...

You guys are so cute! And I totally agree...I know that I'll be a bundle of nerves, as well, and I knew immediately that I wanted to see Grant beforehand.

Adrienne said...

Love that picture! We are going to see each other before the ceremony as well so it helps to hear that you are happy with that decision, and that your walk up the aisle was just as special as seeing him earlier in the day!

LauraAnn said...

I think that I will be the same way on our wedding day! PLEASE help me convince Rich that we should do our first look prior to walking down the aisle!!!
LOVE the picture!!!

Lindsey said...

You guys are adorable! Love this pic.

Just Dandy Blog said...

You are a doll!! You are rubbing off more and more on me every time you speak of your first look! I am convinced, I am just like you! I will be a wreck if I don't see him! Check out my contest!!!

said...

Lovely picture of the two of you. Thanks for sharing it :)

Melissa said...

This is such a pretty picture :)

~k said...

LOVE the new header!!!!

THE RED STUDIO said...

I love this photograph, especially in B&W. The one that I saw from the web login was color... I think. And since I just realized I can comment on your blog now (since I went months without my own account), I want to mention that the one of your veil blowing in the wind brought a tear to my eye. Your dad was certianly there that day... you made sure we all felt his presence.

btw- did you change your email address since your move? i sent you one a couple weeks ago and i'm not sure you got it. how's life in cincy? with the hubby? we HAVE to get together!!

ZenadiaDesign said...

Your wedding was SO beautiful! I have really had fun looking through all the pictures you have shared thus far. It looks like everything went perfectly! Thanks so much for sharing your special day with all us readers. =)

Amy-Jo Tatum/Chic said...

Such lovely photos

saundra, event engineer said...

Very well said, Jessica. I just did a series about the benefits of seeing each other, but I hope that what any bride takes out of it is simply....it's YOUR decision. We NEVER try to talk our clients out of this, just give them the pro's and con's of it.

GREAT photo...and LOVE your purple shoes!